Mary Ellen Henderson's retirement from teaching. According to the article, the two room school house (Fall Church Colored School) opened in 1887. The photograph should be cropped out because it from her 1950 retirement, after 31 years of teaching.
A collaborative project between: African and African American Studies, George Mason University, and the Tinner Hill Heritage Foundation. Funding was provided in part by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.